Monday, May 02, 2011

a Hug

After my appointment today, my oncologist threw open her arms and said "I want a 5 year hug!" and with that, I was through with her and the cancer center! From now on, my appointments will be handled with a nurse and a mammogram once a year at the breast center. I have another month of Tamoxifen medication then I truly can celebrate.

I'm trying to figure out how best to celebrate--a party doesn't seem sufficient. I'm thinking of treating myself to that genetic test that tells you your body's best chance at loosing weight--since the medication weight gain side effect will be going away. And all those other lousy side-effects the Dr. said they should disappear relatively quickly. Since the only other meds out there are for post-menopausal women, the only thing I can do to help prevent a re-occurrence is eat right and exercise a lot (read loose weight).

What is the appropriate rite of passage for ending cancer treatment? And don't suggest a tattoo--I already have two of those to guide the radiation machine and that seems like plenty.

I have an anniversary trip to NY planned in July to watch the Broadway sensation Book of Mormon so I'll raise a glass with friends then but that hardly seems appropriate. Guess I'll have to call my friend Frank and find out what he did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! And you didn't even mention it. I think you should do one thing on your bucket list. One wonderful, fabulous, thing in celebration!